Heritage / Archival Recording

NEWMARKET RAILWAY SUB-STATION, 132-164 Newmarket Street Flemington VIC 3031

The Newmarket Railway Sub-Station was built in 1914-1915 and began operation in 1918 as part of the program to electrify the Melbourne suburban railway network. The Newmarket Railway Sub-station is essentially a large red brick utilitarian building with adoption of the neo-Classical style in the grand scale. It is located approximately 6km north west of Melbourne CBD and 1km east of Flemington Racecourse. There are other four surviving examples of this type of sub-station buildings can be found at the Newport Railway Sub-Station, the former Fitzroy North Electric Railway Sub-Station, the Glenroy Sub-Station and Albion Sub-Station. Photographic survey by Hin Lim. © Hin Lim | 2014

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12

< Heritage / Archival Recording